Wednesday, February 7, 2024

 Sunday At Foxwoods” - A Boys Like Girls Album Review


This is a little bit of an interesting album review for me. This is an album review where I don’t really know the band “Boys Like Girls” and, in fact, my first introduction to them was “Miracle” from this very album; even if they’ve been around for 17 years. I’ve probably heard their song with Taylor Swift, but I could not name a lyric if asked what a lyric in that song was. However, I really liked Miracle, and I wanted to know more songs from them, so why not review the album as well? I really don’t know what to expect as I’m writing this before hearing the songs, so let’s see together.



1. Sunday At Foxwoods 1:57


So this first song is an intro. Cool, we can’t really have intros in albums a lot these days, so it’s cool that they even had an intro to begin with, let alone the intro being longer than some songs on Pop Radio. There’s no lyrics in this intro, but the beat is really cool, and despite not having lyrics… wow, this is great. I love this. It’s almost like this could be an actual instrumental to a song, but it’s not. And I need to mention how this intro flows right into track #2. That smooth of a crossfade is almost extinct nowadays, So I also like how they are bringing intros that are actually intros back. Overall, cool intro. I like it. Now let’s get into the actual songs.


95%

2. The Outside 4:04


Remember me telling you that I’ve only heard one song from Sunday At Foxwoods going into this? That song, let me just remind you again, was called “Miracle” and really grew on me overtime. In fact, that song is the whole reason why this album review is happening anyway. This next song sounds very similar to “Miracle” and it’s called The Outside. So yeah, I really love this already. The lyrics start off with a bang - “It’s Okay, It’s Alright”. The lyrics can be cringey at times, but they usually aren’t, and hey - that’s just Boys Like Girls from what I understand anyway lol. If i had to tie this to one song, I’d probably tie this to “Year 3000” by Jonas Brothers, they both have a very similar vibe to them, and seem to have the same message. And I like “Year 3000” a lot, so of course I’ll love this one too.


100%

3. Language 2:58

Onto the third song, “Language”, and… is this just The Outside again? Probably. But, It still bops, and I love the chorus “Na na na na, La la la la, Speakin’ my language” It’s just so damn catchy! I love it! Now I can see why this was the second single after “Blood And Sugar”, which by the way, is track #4 so stay tuned for that review next. Anyways, One interesting thing about this song is that once it gets to the chorus, it seems like that first chorus is the rest of the song - And I’m perfectly fine with that, the chorus actually slaps. I love it. So yeah, you know what percentage this one is getting.


100%

4. Blood and Sugar 3:06


“Blood And Sugar” is the lead single (released May 19th, 2023) and to be honest, I don’t love this quite as much as the last three… but it’s still good! The chorus is slightly underwhelming, but the verses are really good. Sound familiar? Yeah, probably, but it’s true. These verses are actually amazing, but the chorus? Not quite as much. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still good, just not nearly as good as these verses. And, like most of these songs, the 5 second instrumental sections of solo guitar fit really well, and that is especially true here. So yeah, the verses make up for the chorus, which gives Blood And Sugar a…


93%

5. New Love 3:43


Is it just me… or do all these songs remind me of late 2000s / early 2010s songs by other artists? This song in particular seems like the chorus is word for word with “True Love” by P!nk and Lily Allen. But, I loved that song as well, so I’m not complaining. The only thing I could possibly complain about is the word “love” being in every line in the chorus - it somehow gets slightly annoying. But, it does fit, so whatever. On the flip side, I really like the coyote-like sounds of “Whoo-ooh” “Whoo-ooh”, it really contributes to the nice atmosphere this song emits. So, good song.


88%

6. Miracle 3:00


Okay, I think I mentioned this song probably way too many times in this review before it should be reviewed. But, It kinda deserves the hype, This song is such a bop. And to be honest, I didn’t always think it was this good. It took almost 3 months for it to grow this much on me. But, it finally did, And I’m so glad it did. I usually only like songs this much if the lyrics are amazing, and don’t get me wrong the lyrics are still really good, but not on the level of “Messier” and others. The annunciation makes it slightly hard to understand what Martin, the lead singer, is saying, but the important part is that music, and that’s what sells this on me. This bops 103%. And that’s what I’m giving it.


103%

7. Cry 3:38


“Cry” is the first of two ballads on this album, except this one does progress throughout the song. Unfortunately, It’s really only interesting the last 45 seconds, and the first 2 and a half minutes do sound boring, but they are redeemed by the lyrics. The lyrics are very cute - I like them. They don’t save the boringness completely, but they still save it at about 85% of the way. And that last 45 seconds saves it the other 15% of the way. Every album needs a good ballad, and this is exactly the song that fits the niche that’s needed. Keep it up.


97%


8. Monday Morning 1:34


“Monday Morning” is the interlude of this album. Yeah, remember when people actually made interludes? Good times (geez, i sound like an old person there lmao). This interlude is cool though, It’s very similar to the intro, almost exactly identical in the way they work. I actually like this more than the intro for some reason. Maybe because I like the progression much better, i guess. I also love how it very smoothly transitions into track #9…


96%


9. Physical 3:30


Hey, look at them stealing a title of a Dua Lipa song! They’re such thieves, aren’t they?? …sorry, that was a bad “joke”. Anyways, it’s hard to beat Dua Lipa’s “Physical” (although it’s easier to beat other Dua Lipa songs) and although this doesn’t, it’s still good and It’s still cool; I like the beat, it’s very interesting but still nice. I like the progression too. Not much else to say about this, but it still bops. So yeah, still really good.


92%


10. Hourglass 3:43


I’m starting to get Boys Like Girls’ed out over here, but I only have 3 more songs so let me just finish them off. First off is Hourglass, which is a mid-tempo, very dreamy, indie-pop esque. It isn’t, but It still kinda sounds like it does. I like the vibe to this though, It’s very nice on a late night which is exactly what I’m listening to this on lol. Interestingly, I don’t remember the word “Hourglass” being said once in the song, but that doesn’t bother me that much. So yeah, good song. Not the best on the album of course, but still pretty good.


94%


11. Story Of A Lifetime 3:29


Just like many other songs on the album, This reminds me of another song for some reason. Maybe it’s the title? I really don’t know lol, but anyways - This might be the weakest song on the album. It’s alright, but it’s a semi-generic sound I’m not a big fan of. It’s still alright, just not up to the level that we’ve had so far. I guess it’s also slightly forgettable, but not extremely so. I could see this growing on me too, so we’ll see.


77%


12. Brooklyn State Of Mind 3:03


Interesting title, lol. Alicia Keys ripoff? Yes. Good song (again)? Also, yes. Definitely not as catchy as the Alicia Keys CLASSIC, and lyric-wise with the “All The Right Friends in All The Wrong Places” line, they seemed to have directly copied from OneRepublic’s “All The Right Moves”. Which, I loved as well. Still, catchy and I’ll remember that one line for sure. There’s not much else to the song, but that line is definitely cool, so it doesn’t matter that much.


83%


13. Lost In Wonderland 4:36

It wouldn’t be a rock album without a rock ballad, would it? Wait… Didn’t we already have a rock ballad in “Cry”? Maybe… But, gosh, Didn’t you want more? Wait… you didn’t? Well, too bad! Okay, I’m sorry, but this is boring. I can see why it’s here and why it’s the last song, But it’s not my cup of tea at all. I do like the city name dropping, and the lyrics are really cool, and that’s what partially saves the song, but my gosh the instrumental seems practically stripped acoustic, and that’s not really what I enjoy. Again, It’s cute, but it’s not for everyone, including me.


57%


Sunday At Foxwoods - Conclusion


Wow. That was actually really good; I actually didn’t expect that from a band I don’t know much about and I never thought of as a really well-liked band. But, hey, It’s still a really good album. Definitely coming back to almost all of these songs again. And, wow, thanks for reading all this. If you’re reading this, thank you. I appreciate it. Thanks.


Score - 91%


1 comment:

  1. Started a new event!
    https://bunnyfunny382929.blogspot.com/2024/04/2024-may-madness.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete

  “ Sunday At Foxwoods ” - A Boys Like Girls Album Review This is a little bit of an interesting album review for me. This is an album ...